Friday, 23 January 2015

The brave people of Leeds

On the 11th January, we ran a course at Leeds Bradford Airport. There was talk all week, leading up the to course, that the winds were too bad for aircraft to fly. It was all in the media.  A lot of the delegates that joined us for the course were phoning us to check whether we were going ahead with the course.

It is as simple as this. It is either safe to fly or it isn't.  At airports like Leeds, the pilots that fly in and out of there are used to it being windy.  In fact, pilots like wind as it equals extra lift.  When the high winds warning was announced, the pilots for our flight did what all commercial pilots did...they checked it was within the safe limits to fly as did the airport authorities such as air traffic control.

We told everyone on the Leeds course, 'It is going to be windy, possibly very windy.  If it is safe to fly, we intend to take the flight.  If it isn't within the limits that we are allowed to fly, then we won't.  Hands up, who would like to fly today even though it is windy.'

Nearly everyone did. Those that didn't fly that day, wrote to us afterwards regretting that they hadn't flown.  We are pleased that we kept everyone informed and gave everyone the choice to fly or not. 

In a nutshell, it is either safe to fly or it isn't.  Please see message below from one of our delegates:

================================

I attended the flying without fear course at Leeds Bradford on Sunday 11th January. It was my second attendance on the course as I had got back into old habits and wanted to reinforce what I had learnt on the previous course.

All of the team are approachable and answered our questions throughout the day offering reassurance at every part of the course.

It was windy on the day of the course but we were kept informed of the conditions at the airport through the day to enable us to make an informed choice about whether we flew on that day.

I found the elastic band and paced breathing really helped me on the day but they show you different techniques so there's something that will work for everyone.

I wasn't sure I wanted to go on the flight but I had decided I would go to the airport and make a decision there. We were assured it was safe to fly but I was worried it would increase my fear if it was bumpy (turbulence and bad weather were my main fears).

I got on the flight knowing I could still get off but everyone was so supportive I was determined to do it.

It was bumpy on take off and landing but we had been warned about this and the commentary from the captain was really helpful. I sat next to a lovely lady on the flight who reminded me about the paced breathing when I had a moment of panic.

I am so glad I did the flight because it wasn't as bad as I had expected (I had been worried for a few days prior to the course due to the weather). I also thought if I could fly on that day then I wouldn't worry on future flights if bad weather was forecast.

I knew they wouldn't have allowed us to fly if it wasn't safe and no one makes you do anything you don't want to do. They talked through the flight again on the return to the hotel which I found helpful.

I'm even looking forward to my next flight and will be taking my cd and book from the course with me.

Go with an open mind and its up to you what you get out of it.

Thanks again to everyone for all the support especially Paul, Richard, the team leaders and the pilot.

Kind regards

Nicola.

=============================
Take care,

Paul & Richard
=============================
Future Dates

Premium courses: Birmingham Mar 1st; Manchester Apr 19th; Gatwick Apr 26th; Leeds Bradford May 17th; 

Children's course: Gatwick April 26th

Ground courses: Cardiff* Jan 25th; Heathrow* Feb 8th; Gatwick* Mar 8th; Bristol* Mar 29th

No comments:

Post a Comment