Tuesday, 2 December 2014

Aborted landing

I know what you are thinking, 'Why would flying without fear put such a scary link onto its blog?'

The reality is that this is not quite as it seems. When the media show video footage like this, they always write next to the clip something like, 'Watch the pilot struggle to land the aircraft...' It creates an image of the pilots, with their hats on like in some Hollywood 'B' movie, wrestling with the aircraft controls and narrowly avoiding disaster! 

This is so far from the truth.  I wish that you could come into the flight deck during a procedure that we call a 'go-around' and see how calm and together the pilots are.  You can't anymore due to the locked flight deck doors! 

This procedure would have been discussed during the flight and right up until the last moment of touchdown (or even on touchdown) the pilots are ready to perform a go-around.  This is a procedure practiced time and time again in the simulator and it is not crisis situation at all.  Please don't believe what you read and see as it is not always 100% accurate.

Now you have read that, you can watch the clip!

Take care
Richard and Paul
Flying without fear

=========================
Future Courses
Premium courses: Southampton Dec 7th; Leeds Jan 11th; 

Ground courses: Heathrow* Dec 14th; Cardiff* Jan 25th; Bristol Mar 29th 

Exec/celeb course: Gatwick Dec 9th

1 comment:

  1. Just over two weeks ago, I was on a flight from Manchester to Zurich which aborted the landing well into the final approach, and performed a go-around, landing safely about 15 minutes later.

    To put this moment into context for me, as a nervous flyer ... 8 years ago I would not set foot on an plane, I had done in the past, but various newsworthy events caused me to stop. I travelled to meetings in Scotland, Amsterdam, Italy all by train. I made my girlfriend (now wife) travel to the south of Poland for a football match by train - we were away for 6 days instead of 2.

    Throughout this time and ever since, I have read the VFWF email and more recently blog updates. I wanted to do the course (and applied to my employer for financial support) but they didn't want to pay for it and so I carried on empowering myself (or perhaps re-educating myself) by reading every email.

    Eventually, I made the decision to fly again but only on a particular airline, and really only because my closest friend had moved to New York and needed some emotional support.

    That was a breakthrough moment for sure, and continuing to read your emails has allowed me to build on that moment to the extent that during 2014, I have taken 31 flights using 7 airlines. I have taken early morning flights without drinking alcohol in advance, where previously I would only fly late in order to reduce anxiety in the airport bar. In short, I have taken the knowledge gained and turned that into confidence to fly freely once more.

    So when that Zurich flight aborted its landing, I knew as soon as the engine note changed what was happening and why, and this was on an airline I had never flown before! I looked around and I seemed to be more confident than many others! The pilot came on once we were level again and explained that fog was the reason and that everything was ok.

    I can only imagine that had I taken the VFWF course rather than just reading the emails and blogs, that the focused support and knowledge would have helped me much quicker.

    But I want to offer sincere thanks for being the source of information that brought my confidence back and re-opened this particular door for me.

    ReplyDelete